“Sending Kingdom Professionals” (Postings – The Mission Mobilizers E-newsletter, November 2014 issue) presents a strong case for the importance of Tentmakers, or Kingdom Professionals, in fulfilling the Great Commission and building the Kingdom of God. This lead article sets the stage for the whole issue.
Global Opportunities thinks this is such an important article we are highlighting key “take-aways” and providing additional comment.
- There is a growing movement of tentmakers, or Kingdom Professionals, playing a critical role in fulfilling the Great Commission. Key church leaders including Billy Graham have observed, “…the next great move of God is going to be through believers in the marketplace.”
- This force is a complement – and not a competitor – to the traditional/donor-based missions sending movement. We are not facing an either/or situation but rather a both/and. Each type of service plays a vital role the other can not in fulfilling the Great Commission. Different parts of the Body all working together.
- Tentmakers (as they have been called since the days of the Apostle Paul) are both CALLED and SENT. God made them the way they are and called them to use the gifting He gave them for His service. They are to be sent out into the mission and supported by the church. While they may not require financial support the churches’ support in other ways is critical to their success.
- This is not a new concept, but a resurgence of a New Testament model. Tentmaking is not some flashy new trend that will come and go. It is as old as the Gospel itself. It is a strategic part of God’s plan for the building of His Kingdom and cannot be ignored.
- The Church and the Tentmakers each have special roles to play. Both are needed. You can’t have one without the other.
- Both the Senders and the Sent will be more effective in building the Kingdom when they educate themselves and prepare for their responsibilities. Effective ministry does not happen by chance. It requires intentionality and preparation. In order for the Tentmaker to be the most effective sharing the good news he needs to prepare himself and learn the techniques and practices that bring results. He also needs the support of a committed sending church. In order for the church to adequately perform her support role she too needs to prepare and educate the congregation in the tentmaking ministry model and the part they have in supporting the tentmaker.
Global Opportunities, Catalyst Services, and other ministry organizations have training resources for the equipping of the saints for tentmaking ministry. Explore the links provided in these articles and web pages, find what is best for you, and prepare to GO Equipped!
CALL for papers. Global Opportunities is looking for stories about Tentmakers and Churches working together building the Kingdom. Tell us about a case you have seen with the the SENDER and the SENT working together. Write to Tentmaking Briefs email@example.com.